WHO concerned by ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola spread in DRC

0
4


The director general of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Tuesday voiced concern about the “scale and speed” of the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The WHO is holding an emergency meeting later on Tuesday in Geneva to discuss developments in Ituri province and other parts of eastern DRC.

🛍️
Best Trending Products Deals
Compare prices & buy online
Buy Now →

The outbreak involves a rare strain of Ebola, called Bundibugyo, for which these is no recognized vaccine. It is also taking place in remote parts of the country, making the lab testing of suspected cases slow and challenging.

<figure class="placeholder-A health worker instructs a local resident to wash hands at the general reference hospital in Rwampara in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, on May 16, 2026.

The outbreak is in a remote and sometimes wartorn area, posing challenges for health authorities trying to respond

What do we know about the suspected and confirmed caseload, death toll?

Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba spoke on national television early on Tuesday, giving an update on the recorded progress of the hemorrhagic fever.

🛍️
Best Trending Products Deals
Compare prices & buy online
Buy Now →

“We have recorded roughly 131 deaths in total and we have around 513 suspected cases,” Kamba said. “The deaths we are reporting are all the deaths we have identified in the community, without necessarily saying that they are all linked to Ebola.”

Late last week, authorities had cited 91 probable deaths out of 350 suspected cases.

Germany’s Health Ministry on Tuesday said it was preparing to treat a US doctor who has contracted the virus after a request from the US, based on the shorter flight times and past German experience treating the virus. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had already announced the infection and the plan to send the patient to Germany.

Many of the cases logged so far are in the northeastern Ituri and North Kivu provinces, near the border to Uganda, which has also recorded two cases among people who traveled from the DRC.

This includes cities like Bunia, Butembo and one case in North Kivu’s capital Goma, which was seized by the Rwanda-backed M23 rebel group last year.

The area is a gold mining hub and frequently unstable.

Ebola outbreak adds to fears in conflict-ridden Ituri, Congo

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

What did the WHO’s Tedros Ghebreyesus say about the outbreak?

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who on Saturday declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, told the World Health Assembly in Geneve on Tuesday that he had not taken this decision “lightly.”

“I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,” Tedros said.

He said the outbreak epicenter was in the Ituri province, and that 30 cases had been laboratory-confirmed in that region in the meantime.

“Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital of Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from DRC,” Tedros said.

<figure class="placeholder-A staff member of the CBCA Virunga Hospital checks a visitor's temperature using a a contactless infrared thermometer, before allowing her access to the hospital in Goma on May 17, 2026.

Some factors are helpful when trying to contain Ebola — for instance, people only tend to be able to transmit the virus when they are symptomatic or deceased, not during the incubation period

The WHO would hold an emergency meeting on its response later on Tuesday, he said. The panel is expected to discuss issues like organizing supplies of personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare workers, and also what potential vaccine options might exist or warrant testing.

Several relatively new Ebola vaccines, particularly for the more common and more lethal Zaire strain, do exist. But none are formally recognized as effective, at least as yet, against the much rarer Bundibugyo strain.

There are only two Bundibugyo outbreaks prior to this one on record, in 2007-8 and 2012.

What makes this Ebola outbreak different from others?

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

What is Ebola?

First identified in 1976, Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread primarily through direct contact with bodily fluids of symptomatic patients or the deceased. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure and is thought to originate in bats. Fatality rates in past outbreaks have ranged from roughly 25 to 90% depending on the strain, the location, and other factors.

This is the 17th Ebola outbreak in the central African country. The deadliest claimed nearly 2,300 lives between 2018 and 2020.

The most recent outbreak, between September and December last year, led to 45 deaths, according to the WHO.

Ebola: What to know after WHO declares health emergency

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Edited by: Dmytro Hubenko

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here