Supreme Court suspects Karnataka government of ‘delaying tactics’ but extends Bengaluru civic polls’ deadline to August 31

0
3
तेलंगाना


<!–[if IE 9]><![endif]–>Supreme Court of India.

Supreme Court of India.

|

🛍️
Best Home Appliance Deals
Compare prices & buy online
Buy Now →

The Supreme Court of India on Wednesday (May 20, 2026) said the Karnataka government seems to be deploying “delaying tactics” to postpone civic polls in Bengaluru while extending the deadline for the elections by another two months to August 31.

Shifting the time limit for the election from June 30 to August 31, the apex court said this would be the State government’s “last chance”, and there would be no further extensions.

“The matter gives an unnecessary impression that this is all delaying tactics on the part of the State,” Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, heading a three-judge Bench, remarked.

🛍️
Best Home Appliance Deals
Compare prices & buy online
Buy Now →

Senior advocate A.M. Singhvi and advocate Sanchit Garga, appearing for Karnataka, said the State had made every other arrangement, including the necessary budgetary allocations for the conduct of the polls. However, there was a “manpower problem”, requiring a “slight extension of 60 days”.

Mr. Singhvi acknowledged that extensions had been sought in the past from the court. “I have asked for time many times,” he submitted.

The hearing was based on applications filed by the State and the Karnataka State Election Commission (KSEC). They had originally sought time till September 30 to conduct the election. However, the State later settled for a two-month extension of time.

The State said it was committed to its obligation to hold the polls “in the interests of justice and equity”. It justified that the request for an extension of the deadline in the background of the Census and the Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls was “bona fide”.

The KSEC had found the concerns raised by the State government authorities to be prima facie genuine, as the Census and SIR were stretching human resources in the State.

“Due to the deployment of the manpower by the State government for the purpose of conducting Census, Special Intensive Revision of electoral rolls, etc, the required manpower and logistics may be unavailable with the State government. It is, therefore, most humbly prayed that this Hon’ble Court may kindly grant an additional 3 months for concluding the elections,” the poll body said.

The judicial order said the extension to August 31 was allowed after taking into consideration the “attenuating circumstances” placed before the court by the State government. “However, it is made amply clear that no further extension shall be granted in this regard,” the court emphasised. eom

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here